This volume contains the second part of the three-part proceedings of a NATO Advanced Research Workshop “Smart and Functional Organic Materials” held in Grand Marriott Hotel, Bucharest, Romania, June 10-14, 2003. The workshop focused on the following topics:
- Molecular and supra-molecular engineering for photonic applications;
- Nanostructured organic materials for photonics and optics;
- Multi-functional polymers, self adaptive composites, conducting polymers, purpose designed compounds, opto-electronic materials and devices;
- Photo- and electro-chromic materials, photorefractive polymers, light emitting devices, photovoltaics;
- New composites, exotic, hybrid materials, sol-gels;
- New developments in theory and experiments;
- Modelling and simulation of material properties on microscopic and macroscopic levels;
- Advanced materials and technologies, including crystalline and glassy structures, nanocrystals and amorphous state;
- Technology transfer.
The workshop was attended by 57 participants coming from NATO and NATO Partner Countries. It consisted of keynote lectures, invited and poster contributions. A significant amount of time was devoted to discussions. An excellent environment favorized exchange of information, scientific contacts, and starting new contacts and collaborations between workshop participants.
The workshop co-directors would like to acknowledge the NATO Scientific Affairs Division for the sponsorship making this meeting possible. Also the financial support of the US Air Force Wright Patterson Laboratories and US Air Force European Office for Aerospace Research and Development as well as the Ministry of Education and Research in Romania are very appreciated and kindly acknowledged. Thanks are also due to the members of the scientific committee: Dr. Natalya V. Kamanina, from Vavilov State Optical Institute (GOI), St Petersburg (Russia), Prof. Paras N. Prasad from State University of New York, Buffalo, (USA) and Prof. Vladimir Syromyatnikov from Taras Schevtchenko University, Kiev (Ukraine) for useful suggestions and the help in putting the scientific program together, selection of keynote and invited speakers as well as the poster presentations.
Commissariat à l’Energie Atomique
Centre de Saclay, France
Bucharest, Saclay, September 2003